First of all, I have three available ad spaces for sale on my blog through Project Wonderful. (Not to be confused with the ad space I sell direct with payments made via PayPal.) Additionally, I have played around with the daily cost of the ad space to determine the price that will generate the most interest. Currently, I reside at about .30 cents per day which equates to a whopping $9.00 per month... IF the owner of the ad remains on my blog for an entire month. If this were the case, I would be ecstatic. Who doesn't mind making a few extra bucks simply for doing what you love. I would blog whether I utilized Project Wonderful ads or not. Herein lies the conundrum. By using Project Wonderful, I am required to daily check their website for the following reasons:
- New Ad Approval. To be fair, you can allow ads to auto-accept and populate your blog/website. I am not comfortable with this concept. I may only visit my blog once daily and I do not want ads posting that I deem questionable without my knowledge. Therefore, my Project Wonderful settings state that new ads must be approved by me, while previously posted ads can be auto-accepted and populate my blog. This a great segue into my next point.
- Ad Turnover. My ad space is bid upon it seems all day long with new bidders outbidding old bidders which requires me to check Project Wonderful multiple times per day to make sure I can keep up with all of the new bidders. My experience, is that not only are originally approved ads outbid by new ads now requiring my approval, the approved bidders often voluntarily remove their ads anytime between 6 to 24 hours.
- Insufficient Funds. At least twice per week, I have to remove an ad because the advertiser has insufficient funds to cover the cost of the ad.
In light of all of the above activity, I have approved a new ad almost daily, sometimes two or three different bidders within the same day. Within the month, it seems possible that I would have accumulated at a minimum $9.00 in ad sales. Right? Well, let me provide you with the actual statistics:
- Almost 30 days using Project Wonderful
- 8 different advertisers
- 57 ads generated by those 8 advertisers
- Insufficent funds requiring ad removal at least 2 times per week
- $2.01 profit
So, I ask myself... is all of the time and energy worth it? I will decide within the next 60 days. What's your feedback?